Director of Public Works
OMNI is honored to have been retained by the City of Blue Springs, Missouri in the selection and search for a Director of Public Works to provide strategic oversight, direction, and leadership to the Public Works Department.
Located less than half an hour from downtown Kansas City; the City of Blue Springs offers the hometown feel of a quiet suburb with easy access to the amenities of a thriving metropolitan area. The 10th largest City in Missouri, Blue Springs is known for its high quality of life, affordable housing, central location, and nationally recognized schools. As an organization, the City employs 315 full-time employees and has an annual operating budget of $85M.
The Director of Public Works reports to the City Administrator, manages a team of 55 and will oversee a $16.4M department annual budget.
- Provide oversight, direction and leadership to the engineering, water/sewer/wastewater, streets and central garage divisions.
- Manage and lead the annual Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) process.
- Responsible for the oversight and compliance related to Public Works operations and maintenance, as well as capital construction projects.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; identifies opportunities for improvement and directs the implementation of changes.
- Coordinate programs and activities with other regional and state agencies, professional and regulatory bodies to ensure the City’s activities follow current law and responsiveness to citizens needs and input.
- Provide staff support, analysis, and recommendations to the City Administrator, various boards and commissions, City staff, City officials and the general public. Present to the City Council as needed.
- Manage department operations, including supervising staff and developing the department budget following City guidelines and policies.
Education and Experience
- Five (5) or more years of supervisory experience in public works, civil engineering, or public administration.
- A thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of public works administration along with considerable knowledge of materials, methods, and techniques used in construction, maintenance and operations of streets, water and sewer utilities, stormwater, and fleet is essential.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Environmental Science, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience as an innovative leader who can guide the department through both long-range planning and everyday maintenance and operations, with a focus on customer service.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, procedures, objectives, and standard practices of engineering and public works operations, as well as federal, state, county, city, and other applicable statutes, agreements, standards, and codes for assigned functions.
- Experience with labor relations.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be highly competitive depending on the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience. The City of Blue Springs offers a competitive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, a wellness program, paid vacation and sick leave, and membership in the Missouri Local Government Employee’s Retirement System. Relocation assistance will be negotiated in accordance with the City’s policy.
We appreciate your suggestions or referrals to professionals who may have an interest in this outstanding opportunity. Formal interest accepted here or direct all inquiries to:
OMNI Human Resource Management
Stacey Cowan, Senior Consultant
OMNI and our clients are Equal Opportunity Employers and seek diversity in candidates for employment. EEO Employer W/M/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.