The City of Overland Park has a full-time Equipment Mechanic position available in the Fleet Maintenance Division in the Public Works Department. The successful candidate may be hired at Level I or Senior depending on experience.
Performs preventive maintenance work and makes repairs on City vehicles and equipment. Vehicle and equipment types may include fire apparatus, dump trucks, police vehicles and/or other specialized equipment. Diagnose and repair mechanical and electrical problems of varying complexities. Install ancillary equipment such as two-way radios, light sets, computer mounts, consoles and any other necessary equipment. Maintains and repairs various vehicle/equipment makes and models including both gas and diesel powered. Example duties include; performing engine tune-ups, repairing drive or power train components, conducting preventive maintenance inspections, fabricating minor mechanical parts and researching parts availability. Records and tracks assigned work progress through the City’s electronic fleet management program. Assists in emergency operations, including snow removal.
- Basic education with technical training in the maintenance and repair of gas- and diesel-powered equipment, welding and hydraulics, brake systems or additional equivalent experience.
- Must obtain a valid CDL Class A driver's license with air brakes and tanker endorsements within six months from date of hire. Must maintain an insurable driving record.
- Must obtain within six months from date of hire and maintain accredited certifications to work on air brakes, automotive air conditioning and tire/wheel ends.
- ASE certifications in these areas are preferred.
- 6 months - 1 year experience performing automotive maintenance and repair, or an equivalent level of experience.
- Above educational requirements plus the following: Must possess a valid CDL Class A commercial driver's license with air brakes and tanker endorsements.
- Must maintain an insurable driving record.
- Must possess one of the following: ASE Master Certification in Heavy Duty Truck and EVT F1, or ASE Master Certification in Automobile and EVT F1, or EVT Certification Level II in either Fire Apparatus or Ambulance.
- Two to three years experience at the Equipment Mechanic level, performing automotive maintenance and repair, or an equivalent level of experience. No City residency requirement.
Must successfully pass a background check, drug screen, physical exam and essential functions test.
Normal Work Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Mon. - Fri.
I: $19.81 - $24.77/hour ($41,204.80 - $51,521.60/year)
Sr: $22.31 - $27.88/hr ($46,404.80 - $57,990.40/year)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
To view the full job description, please go to the City of Overland Park's Job Description page and search by Equipment Mechanic: Careers - City of Overland Park, Kansas (opkansas.org)